Thursday, July 28, 2011

Make your own Velvet Cupcake!



Today was totally a Hagardo Versosa (stressfull and nakaka-haggard) day! And my mom even asked me to drive the car on our way home. Hassle. But when I entered the house, the smell of vanilla and cake welcomed me!! I ran towards the kitchen, then Boom. Right there. On top of the counter top was a beautiful work of art. Kulang na lang may spotlight and angels’ voices while I walk towards the velvet cupcakes my mom made for me. It was red, moist, and the frosting on top was shining like diamonds. Okay so medyo exaggerated na but seriously, I was very hungry that time. So picked up one and took a bite of the cupcake…

The cake was so soft and moist. And ito yung tipong fluffy yung cake then on top it’s kind of chewy. The frosting totally made it complete and perfect. Totally pumped me up and gave me sugar rush so I can study for my quiz tomorrow (Inaagit /agitated na nga yung cells ko right now. Can’t stop moving).

I want to share my mom’s secret recipe to everyone just so you can try it out at home. Pero if you’re like tamad (I just thank God, by the way, that He gave me a mom who knows how to cook. Because seriously, I don’t know how to cook a single dish.  Baka I’ll just depend on gravity to bring down an apple or something out of nowhere if it wasn’t for my mom. Just sharing. ) like me, ask your yaya to do it. Kidding. Send me an email if you want to inquire or order.
 So guys, find the chef/baker/cook (kung ano man ang tamang term for it) in you! Try this recipe out!
Ingredients

    3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
    2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted, plus more for pans
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 cups sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 one-ounce bottles liquid red food coloring
    3 tablespoons lukewarm water
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon white vinegar

Directions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, and butter again. Dust with flour, and tap out the excess; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, cocoa, and baking powder; set aside.

    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 15 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, salt, food coloring, and water; beat, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well combined. Add reserved dry ingredients in additions, alternating with the buttermilk; beat on low speed until well combined.

    In a small bowl, stir together baking soda and vinegar; add to batter. Beat on medium speed for 10 seconds. Be sure not to overbeat. Divide batter between prepared pans, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove pans from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack; let stand until completely cool.

    Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes so surfaces are level. Place a layer on a cake stand or cardboard round, and spread about 1/3 of the frosting over top. Place the second layer on top, and spread with the remaining frosting over the tops and sides of assembled cake. Transfer to refrigerator, and chill until ready to serve.

Frosting
Ingredients

    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 (8-ounce) bar cream cheese, room temperature
    1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions

    Place butter in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, and beat until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat until combined, about 2 minutes. Fold in walnuts.






 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pictures by Ivy Dela Torre: ivdelatorre@yahoo.com
Want to be featured? annabeatrixdelatorre@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh. The cupcakes look sooo YUMMY!!! :)

    -http://thefoodscout.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete